- This event has passed.
Yellow Shirt Day at the Capitol
March 26 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
UPDATE: ACTION ALERT #: TIME CHANGE FOR YELLOW SHIRT DAY
The House Appropriations Committee will discuss the LA Department of Health’s (LDH) budget on Monday, March 26th, at 9:00 AM. LaCAN members are encouraged to attend in their yellow shirt to show your support for DD Services.
The Governor’s proposed Fiscal Year 2019 (FY19) State Budget (HB1), to begin on July 1st, does not adequately address the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. Funding for the following is NOT included in the proposed budget:
• 800 additional waiver slots for individuals in the most urgent need
• Enhanced waiver rate for people with complex medical and/or behavioral support needs
• Implementation of the TEFRA Medicaid State Plan Option
The proposed budget also cuts LDH over $650 million in state general funds ($2.4 Billion including federal matching funds) which will result in the reduction or elimination of numerous programs and services for people with developmental disabilities currently funded in LDH’s budget:
• Elimination of Children’s Choice and Supports Waivers
• Elimination of Long Term Personal Care Services
• Elimination of Pediatric Day Health Care Centers
• Elimination of Supported Independent Living in the New Opportunities Waiver ( NOW)
• Stricter financial eligibility criteria for Medicaid long term care services (impacting 57% of current home and community based waiver recipients and ICF/DD residents)
• Significant reduction to behavioral health and addictive disorder services
• Reduction to Support Coordination in the NOW
If you believe funding should be added for additional waiver slots, for an enhanced waiver rate to serve people with complex and challenging needs, for the implementation of TEFRA, and for the restoration of ALL cuts to LDH included in HB1, then join other LaCAN members at the Capitol for yellow shirt day.
If you plan to attend, need a yellow shirt or want to find out about carpooling options, contact your LaCAN Leader, Ashley McReynolds. Don’t forget to arrive early to get a seat and fill the the committee room with yellow shirts! Legislators can’t see those seated in the overflow room.
SAVE THE DATE:
ATTEND YELLOW SHIRT DAY FOR PUBLIC TESTIMONY
When: Tuesday, April 10th
*Time to be Announced*
Where: House Committee Room 5
Louisiana State Capitol –
The Appropriations Committee will meet on Tuesday, April 10th, to hear public testimony on the proposed FY19 budget. Several LaCAN members will represent our group by testifying before the committee, but it is important for LaCAN to fill the room to demonstrate support for DD services. Look for another alert soon with additional details.
Please plan to attend, request a yellow shirt, and find out about carpooling options from your LaCAN Leader, Ashley McReynolds, or click here to find your LaCAN leader: https://laddc.org/initiatives/community-living-and-self-determination/community-supports/current-initiatives/lacan/lacan-leaders/